Sunday, June 17, 2012

Two Tales of Data Clerking

I - A couple of years ago..

I was tasked with the creation of a web-based medical database application to manage TB case data. As the data had spatial components, the choice of a database tech (PostgreSQL, with its PostGIS extension) was easy. For the client-side tech (mostly data entry forms coming from the paper world), the choice was harder. After having explored and reviewed many frameworks, I finally settled for the powerful Ext JS library. Lastly, as I wanted to code the server-side logic in Python, I decided to go with mod_python, which wasn't then in the almost defunct state it is in today. I played for a while with the idea of a more integrated environment like Django, but I decided to go without after having realized that the mildly complicated database logic I had in mind was not well supported by an ORM. In its place, I devised little_pger, a very simple, psycopg2-based "proto-ORM", wrapping common SQL queries in a convenient and pythonic interface (at least to my taste!).

Having made all these choices, I was ready to build the application. I did, and in retrospect, it's very clear that the most time-consuming aspect, by far, was the delicate user interface widgets I had to create to maximize user happiness and data consistency (with all the power Ext JS yields, it's hard to resist):
  • Different kinds of autocompletion text fields
  • Panels with variable number of sub-forms
  • Address validation widget
  • Etc..


The initial versions of the app were so heavy that I had to revise the whole UI architecture.. but then a nice thing happened: the JavaScript performance explosion brought by the browser war.. suddenly this wasn't a concern anymore!

This system has been working very reliably (from an Ubuntu VM) since then. It has required slightly more user training and adjustments than I'd assumed (sophisticated UI semantics is always clearer in the designer's mind) but it is still being used, and its users are still (seemingly) happy, and so this could have been the end of an happy, although rather uneventful story, if it wasn't for the fact that I actually spent some time meditating upon what I'd do differently, being offered the opportunity.

For instance, learning about WSGI, but above all, the very elegant Flask microframework, made me want to be part of the fun too. So I refactored my application in terms of it (which was mostly painless). So long mod_python..

By then however, a kind of "UI fatigue" had begun to set in, and when I was asked to quickly code an addon module, I admit it: I did it with Django (and no one really noticed).

Time passed, I worked on many other projects and then it came again.

II - A couple of months ago..

I was asked to create a medical database to hold vaccination survey data. By that time, I had developed another condition: "database fatigue" (AKA obsessive-compulsive normalization), which is probably better explained by these schema diagrams from my previous app:


And so, even though I still strongly believed in the power of relational databases, as the NoSQL paradigm was gaining traction, MongoDB seemed like a fun alternative to try.

This time however, as I lacked the courage (or ignorance) I had when facing the prospect of "webifying" 47 pages of paper forms (though it was only a mere 13 pages for this new task), I decided to explore other options. The solution I came up with is based on a kind of "end user outsourcing": since the paper form was already created as a PDF document, all I did was superimpose dynamic fields on it, and added a big "Submit" button on top (attached to a bit of JS that sends the form payload over HTTP). Of course this is not web-based anymore (rather HTTP-based), and it makes for a less sophisticated user experience (e.g. no autocompletion fields), but that's the price to pay for almost pain-free UI development. So long, grid and accordion layouts..


The really nice thing about it is hidden from the user's view: the entire application server reduces to this Python function (resting of course on the immense shoulders of Flask and PyMongo), which receives the form data (as a POST dict) and stores it directly in the MongoDB database, as a schemaless document:
from flask import *
from pymongo import *

application = Flask('form_app')

@application.route('/submit', methods=['POST'])
def submit():
    request.parameter_storage_class = dict
    db = Connection().form_app
    db.forms.update({'case_id': request.form['case_id']},
                    request.form, upsert=True, safe=True)
    return Response("""%FDF-1.2 1 0 obj <<
                       /FDF << /Status (The form was successfully submitted, thank you!) >> 
                       >> endobj trailer << /Root 1 0 R >>
                       %%EOF
                    """, mimetype='application/vnd.fdf')

Although for a shorter period of time, this system has also been working in quite a satisfying way since it went online. Its users seem happy, and even though it's less sexy than a web UI, there are merits to this distributed, closer-to-paper approach. The MongoDB piece also makes it a joy (and a breeze) to shuffle data around (though I'm not sure what is due to sheer novelty however).

Of course these database app designs are so far apart that it could seem almost dishonest to compare them. But the goal was not to compare, just to show that it's interesting and sometimes fruitful to explore different design options, when facing similar problems.